Cultures The Sonia and Marco Nadler Institute of Archaeology
Cordially invite the public to the 30th annual conference of the Martin (Szusz) Department of Land of Israel Studies and Archaeology:
“And They Went Up and Toured the Land” – in honor of Professor Anson F. Rainey on the occasion of his 80th birthday.
Thursday, May 6, 2010, Mintz Auditorium, Building 403, Bar-Ilan University.
8:30-9:00: Registration and Refreshments
- Prof. Haim Taitelbaum, Vice Rector
- Prof. Avraham Faust, Chair, Martin (Szusz) Department of Land of Israel Studies and Archaeology
- Prof. Shlomo Bunimovitz, Chair, Jacob M. Alkow Department of Archaeology and Ancient Near Eastern Cultures
9:20-11:00: Session 1: Archaeology. Chair, Prof. Ze’ev Herzog
- Yuval Gadot: The Central Coastal Plain in the Late Bronze Age – Geography, History and Archaeology
- Shlomo Bunimovitz and Zvi Lederman: The Hanan Clan: Epigraphic Evidence for Iron Age Canaanite Continuity in the Northern Judean Shephelah
- Avraham Faust: An Assemblage of Bullae from Tel ‘Eton and the Development of Administration in the Kingdom of Judah
- Ze’ev Herzog: The Hezekiah/Josiah Cult Reform Debate: An Archaeological Perspective
11:30-13:30: Session 2: Linguistics and Bible. Chair, Prof. Shlomo Izre’el
- Israel Knohl: Merneptah’s “Israel” and Biblical “Israel”
- Shawn Zelig Aster: Isaiah 31 and Relations Between Judah and Assyria During the Reign of Sargon II
- Gershon Galil: The Book of Joshua: Formation and Historical Reliability
- Daniel Sivan: The Case System in Northwestern Semitic Languages
- Chaim Cohen: Four New Philological Notes Concerning the Languages of the El-Amarna Letters according to the Comparative Philological Method of Prof. Moshe Held z”l
13:30-14:45: Lunch Break
14:45-16:30: Session 3: Historical Geography. Chair, Prof. Joshua Schwartz
- Ze’ev Safrai: Historical Geography, 35 Years after Ben-Arieh
- Aren Maeir: The Identification of Philistine Gath, 25 Years Later
- Oded Lipschits: Further Thoughts on the Ancient Name of Ramat Rahel
- Yigal Levin: The Identification of Khirbet Qeiyafa – A New Proposal
16:50-19:00: Session 4: History. Chair, Dr Boaz Zissu.
- Dr. Paul Wright, Director, Jerusalem University College: Blessings and comments about Anson Rainey (in English)
- Victor Hurowitz: Demonyms and Toponyms: Symbolism and Hermeneutics
- Brian Schultz: A New Proposal for Tamar/Tadmor in 1 Kings 9:18 (in English)
- Aaron Demsky: The Phoenician Connection of the Greek Sphinx
- R. Steven Notley: Was the Galilee No Longer Jewish in the Days of Judah Aristobulus?
Closing Remarks – Prof. Anson F. Rainey
All papers will be in Hebrew unless English is specified.
Open admission. For information call 03-5318350 or use email address on the announcement.
Photo by David Bivin