I needed these a few years ago, but there were none to be found. Not under rocks, not under bushes, not under sycamore-fig trees. One of my students was teaching a class in Europe and bought every loose copy he could find on the internet. (Indeed, that put him on my black list.)
Eisenbrauns has not only come up with some copies of the Student Map Manual, but they’re selling them for $3 each. It’s the “Deal of the Day” which I believe expires mid-day tomorrow (9/21).
You might want to purchase one if:
- You want to do a serious study of historical geography that involves marking maps.
- You want to re-do your serious study (that wasn’t so serious because you were young, dumb, and in a hurry) when you went to study at the Institute of Holy Land Studies/Jerusalem University College or the Israel Bible Extension.
- You heard stories of this great work but never had a chance to purchase one.
You might want to purchase more than one if:
- You want to teach a course using this classic work.
- You want each of your kids and grandkids to have a copy.
There are newer works out that aim to replace this (a big cheer to the folks at Biblical Backgrounds here), but this work retains a value that I don’t think will ever be completely replaced.
Note that in order to do the markings you will need a copy of James Monson, The Land Between. Amazon has a few used copies of this, starting at $4.
2 thoughts on “Rare Find: Student Map Manual”
Thanks for the tip. Incredible deal!
They sold out & I could have sold a lot more.