If you haven’t been on a tour of Tiberias in the last decade, you have a lot to catch up on with the work of various excavation projects. Shmuel Browns has a well-illustrated summary of some of the important discoveries, including:
- The decorative gate of Herod Antipas
- The main street of the city in use for 700 years
- The Roman theater built by Herod Antipas
- A Roman temple (Hadrianeum)
- A Byzantine monastery and church
His post also includes a number of interesting historical details about the city.
For some interesting descriptions and illustrations of Tiberias in the 19th century, check out Life in the Holy Land.
Photo from Northern Palestine