The Photo Companion to the Bible is a unique collection of digital photographs that illustrate the biblical text verse by verse.
- PowerPoint-based resource
- Library of images provides broad selection
- Created by a team of professors and scholars
- Organized by chapter and verse
- Each chapter is illustrated by 45–200 photographs
- Photographs of sites, scenes, and artifacts related to the reign of David
- Annotations explaining the image selection and background
- Free lifetime updates
- Generous copyright permissions
- Satisfaction guaranteed
- Photos of Hebron and Jerusalem, David’s capital cities
- Photos showing the geography of David’s military activities
- Artifacts illustrating the food, clothing, weapons, vessels, and material culture of David’s day
- Photos and explanations illuminating the various peoples in and around the Promised Land
- Reliefs demonstrating the iconography of war and royalty in the Ancient Near East
- Labeled photos showing Jerusalem’s geography and highlighting the physical realities of 2 Samuel’s accounts
- Examples of ancient city gates and wells, as well as traditional-style tents and houses
- Illustrations of the symbolism used in 2 Samuel’s poems and prophecies
About the authors: Dr. Chris McKinny is a biblical scholar, archaeologist, and research fellow at Gesher Media. Dr. Kris Udd is a pastor and has a Ph.D. in Old Testament Archaeology from Andrews University. Dr. Todd Bolen is Professor of Biblical Studies at The Master’s University, having taught for many years at their campus in Israel.
Check out our other volumes in the series: Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1 Samuel, 1 Kings, 2 Kings, Esther, Psalm 23, Daniel, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, Romans, 1 Corinthians, 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians and Philemon, 1 & 2 Thessalonians, 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus, Hebrews, James, 1 & 2 Peter, Jude, 1, 2, & 3 John, and Revelation.
Free PowerPoint download: 2 Samuel 2 (130 slides)
A richness that commentaries often don’t supply
“What a ‘fire hydrant’ flow of pertinent, revealing detail for interpreting 2 Samuel! This extravaganza adds repeated perspective and understanding—whether appreciating the sort of turf Abner & Co. would face traveling back to Mahanaim in ch. 2, or getting the ‘skinny’ on David’s conquest of Jerusalem in ch. 5, or simply visualizing the hiding places David may have used in ch. 17; at every turn one gains fresh appreciation and new insights into the text of 2 Samuel in this marvelous geographical-archaeological-cultural starter kit. There is a richness in the Photo Companion that commentaries often don’t or can’t supply.”
—Dale Ralph Davis, Former pastor of Woodland Presbyterian Church in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, and professor of Old Testament at Reformed Theological Seminary in Jackson, and author of 2 Samuel: Out of Every Adversity
I highly recommend this!
“The old saying, ‘a picture is worth a thousand words,’ is certainly true when studying the historical books of the Old Testament. The Photo Companion to the Bible is a ‘must-have’ research and teaching tool that greatly enhances our understanding of the Scriptures. With this tool, the Bible will ‘come alive’ in the classroom. This PowerPoint-based tool is user-friendly, with photos arranged by chapter and verse for quick reference and annotated by experts in the field of biblical history, geography, and archaeology. The wide assortment of photos includes high quality pictures of biblical sites, many of which are labeled to help with orientation, as well as pictures of artifacts and ancient Near Eastern artwork illustrating biblical culture and history. I highly recommend this fantastic tool!”
—Robert B. Chisholm, Jr., Chair and Senior Professor of Old Testament Studies, Dallas Theological Seminary, and author of 1 & 2 Samuel in the Teach the Text Commentary Series